Friday, November 2, 2007

Locke vs Demosthenes: Introduction and Purpose

Many times in my life certain issues arise that I find myself in disagreement with the general consensus. The disagreements may arise due to a lack of understanding or knowledge, different views on the topic, or simply that everyone else is wrong, but you are right!

This blog is meant to be a forum for topics such as those. I have a few ideas already that I want to pontificate on, but please send in any suggestions or topics, they would be welcomed.

The title of this blog is taken from Ender's Game. Peter Wiggen is Ender's brother and plans to take over the world by disguising himself and his sister Valentine as 2 political figures, Locke and Demosthenes, in the "net" forums. (A cool thing about Ender's Game is that it was written long before the internet was widely used, but it is very similar to the future he envisioned at the time. Similar to 1984.) He uses them to polarize political thinking into 2 sides and raise himself as Hegemon. I recommend Ender's Game to anyone. (For some reason, even though the book is science fiction, every girl that I or my friends have recommended it to have enjoyed it.)

I hope you enjoy this blog. Whether it facilitates a discussion, acts as a source of random information, or just dies into the nether-world of the internet.

- Locke

5 comments:

dre said...

Will your name change depending on your opinion? Sometimes Locke with post an opinion, other times it might be Demosthenes. Maybe Ender or Andrew Wiggins.

Kudos for the blog. I enjoy reading the opinions of my friends and people I respect.

Last comment: I read Ender's Game and I am a girl and I loved it! Thanks for the recommendation

Jay-Rome said...

So you have adopted the title of Locke, eh? Your ambitions must be lofty indeed. The question then arises...who will play the role of Demosthenes and who (most importantly) will the the moderate Ender?!?

Graff said...

Jay-Rome, are you suggesting that our world is in need of an Ender? Would you consider, what is called the War on Terror, in need of an Andrew Wiggin?

MOP said...

Peter is my favorite although I am definitely a Demosthenes when it comes to discussions concerning...anything.

So if I think about it...I'm a lot like Peter.

But I don't you know...

Kill stuff.

I wish this blog would update. :/

Cassie Thompson said...

I resent the implication that girls enjoying science fiction is a surprise. However, I think that your aims are commendable and I applaud your initiative. Keep it up!